Showing Collections: 1 - 5 of 5
Correspondence, meeting minutes, biographical texts, and flyers, 1973-1988, of gay activist Steve Ault. Ault was a member of the Gay Liberation Front in New York in the 1970s, co-founder of the 1979 March on Washington, and board member of the Lesbian and Gay Community Services Center in New York in the 1980s.
Founded in 1969, the Gay Liberation Front (GLF) was a loosely structured group of gay rights activists who were interested in the radical sexual liberation for all people. This collection consists of publicity material, photographs, correspondence, clippings, and writings that relate primarily to the Los Angeles group of the Gay Liberation Front.
Often referred to as the forefather of the United States gay movement, Henry Gerber in 1924 created the first known gay organization in the United States, the Society for Human Rights, and the first known gay publication, Friendship and Freedom. The collection consists of Henry Gerber correspondence and writings as well as biographical information written about Henry Gerber, circa 1940-1998.
Correspondence, legal documents, clippings, event flyers, and photographs, 1972-1981, from gay activist Michael T. Manning. In 1975, Manning lodged a complaint with the Los Angeles Board of Police Commissioners and the Los Angeles City Attorney, requesting a formal investigation into the Los Angeles Police Department's discriminatory practices against gays and lesbians.
- Gay men's writings 2
- Clippings 1
- Correspondence 1
- Gay activists 1
- Gay activists -- California -- Los Angeles 1
- Gay activists -- Massachusetts -- Boston 1
- Gay activists -- New York -- New York 1
- Gay activists -- United States -- History 1
- Gay community -- New York (State) -- New York 1
- Gay liberation movement -- California -- Los Angeles 1
- Gay liberation movement -- United States 1
- Gay press publications 1
- Gay rights -- California 1
- Gays -- Civil rights 1
- Legal documents 1
- Photographs 1 + ∧ less
- Ault, Steve 1
- Gay Liberation Front/Los Angeles 1
- Gay, A. Nolder (pseudonym) 1
- Gerber, Henry 1
- Koelsch, William A. 1
- Manning, Michael T. 1 + ∧ less