Michael Shere papers
Scope and Contents
This collection consists of Michael Shere's written works and personal papers, 1971-1994. The collection includes his scripts, novels, short stories, and poems. Shere's theatrical work is documented through his sound and set design notes and layouts, as well as musical pieces. Shere's medical records, spiritual papers, greeting cards, correspondence, address books, and daily planners are also included.
- Shere, Michael (Creator, Person)
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open to researchers. There are no access restrictions.
Conditions Governing Use
All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the ONE Archivist. Permission for publication is given on behalf of ONE National Gay and Lesbian Archives at USC Libraries as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained.
A resident of Pasadena, California, Michael Shere was involved in the theatrical world as a performer, script writer, set and sound designer, and composer for 25 years. He was also involved in staging movie premiers for Universal Studios, Columbia Pictures, and events for the music industry. Shere was a writer of short stories, novels, and poems. In addition, he was a board member of GLAAD and a member of the Purple Circuit promoting LGBT theater. He was also involved in AIDS organizations such as Artists Confronting AIDS and the AIDS Service Center. Shere was born on January 4, 1943, and passed away on August 28, 1994, from AIDS-related complications.
3.9 Linear Feet (2 archive boxes + 1 archive carton + 1 flat archive box)
Language of Materials
This collection consists of Michael Shere's written works and personal papers, 1971-1994. Michael Shere worked as a theatrical performer, script writer, set and sound designer, and composer for 25 years. He also was an activist for the LGBT community, including for AIDS organizations such as Artists Confronting AIDS and the AIDS Service Center.
Date and method of donation unknown.
Seperated Materials note
Separated to ONE Archives library
Project 10 handbook
Shock Value by John Waters, 1981
Separated to ONE Archives periodical collection
Aware, Winter 1990
Being Alive, September 1989
Female fyi, September 1994
Happenings, v.7, no.7, September 1986
NAMES project magazine, undated
On the Purple Circuit, v.1, no.2, Winter 1992
PI Perspective, no.7, November 1989
Sexvibe, August 1994
HIV/AIDS subject files materials separated to ONE Archives AIDS History Project Collection
Collection processed by Lizzie Hernandez and Phyllis Rudzitis, March 2014.
- Buiders of the Adytum published materials, blank postcards, and blank greeting cards.
- Telephone Directory of film and network studios
- Fresh Prince of Bel Air Hollywood Reporter
- Whittier's Poems
- Dr. Donsbach's Overweight booklet
- Maps of the Los Angeles central area, Orange County, San Bernandino, San Diego, San Francisco and New York Subways
- Computer and technological equipment magazines and manuals
- Grant promotional information material
- Finding Aid to the Michael Shere Papers, 1971-1994
- Lizzie Hernandez and Kyle Morgan
- (c) 2014
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Processing this collection has been funded by a generous grant from the National Historical Publications and Records Commission.