Ron Moore Collection
Scope and Content
This collection contains the papers of Ronald D. Moore, who worked on the television shows Star Trek: The Next Generation, Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, Roswell, Battlestar Galactica and Caprica, and the movies Star Trek: Generations, Star Trek: First Contact and Mission Impossible: II. Moore's papers contain production binders, production files, scripts and video recordings for these shows. However, generally only those seasons on which Moore actually worked are represented in this collection. Please see the Scope and Content notes for specific series for more details on their contents.
- 1979 - 2010
- Moore, Ronald D. (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
COLLECTION STORED OFF-SITE. Advance notice required for access.
Conditions Governing Use
All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Manuscripts Librarian. Permission for publication is given on behalf of Special Collections as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained.
Ronald D. Moore was born on July 5, 1964 in California. He studied government at Cornell University, but never graduated. He began writing for the television show Star Trek: The Next Generation (TNG) on spec in 1988. In 1989, he was put on staff as a script editor, and by the end of the series he was the show's producer. While on staff with TNG, he frequently co-wrote with Brannon Braga (with whom he also wrote the screenplay for Star Trek: Generations and Star Trek: First Contact). After TNG was cancelled in 1994, Moore joined the production staff of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine (DS9), then in its third season.
After DS9 was cancelled in 1999, Moore, who was by that time the show's executive producer, joined the production staff of Star Trek: Voyager, where Braga was executive producer. Moore left the show after working on only three episodes. After leaving the Star Trek franchise, Moore joined the television show Roswell as a co-executive producer (with Jason Katims) and staff writer for the show's second season. After Roswell was cancelled in 2002, Moore was offered the opportunity to develop a four-hour mini-series based on the old television show Battlestar Galactica. He worked with David Eick to develop the mini-series' story and script. At the same time, Moore was offered the position of executive producer for the show Carnivale (which aired on HBO). Moore worked on the first season of Carnivale while Eick ran the day-to-day production of the Battlestar Galactica (BSG) mini-series. After the Sci-Fi channel ordered the first series of BSG, Moore left the Carnivale to work full time on Battlestar Galactica as the show's executive producer. BSG aired in four seasons between 2004 and 2009. He was nominated for an Emmy for writing the episodes "Occupation" and "Precipice," which aired together as the beginning of the show's third season.
After Battlestar Galactica ended in 2009, Eick and Moore collaborated again on the Galactica-prequel Caprica. Caprica, which aired on television first in January 2010, was cancelled after one season. He also developed a pilot for Fox called Virtuality. The pilot aired in June 2009, but was not picked up.
65 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
The Ron Moore Collection contains the papers of Ronald D. Moore (b. 1964), a writer and producer of science fiction television shows, including Star Trek: The Next Generation, Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, Roswell, Battlestar Galactica and Caprica.
- Action and adventure television programs -- Archival resources
- Battlestar Galactica (Television program : 2003)
- Battlestar Galactica (Television program : 2004-2009)
- Caprica (Television program)
- Carnivàle (Television program)
- Coming-of-age television programs -- Archival resources
- Dailies (motion pictures)
- Fantasy television programs -- Archival resources
- Moore, Ronald D. -- Archives
- Roswell (Television program)
- Science fiction television programs -- United States -- Archival resources
- Star trek generations (Motion picture)
- Star trek, Deep Space Nine (Television program)
- Star trek, first contact (Motion picture)
- Star trek, the next generation (Television program)
- Star trek, voyager (Television program)
- Television -- Archival resources
- Television mini-series -- Archival resources
- Television pilot programs -- Archival resources
- Television producers and directors -- Archival resources
- Television remakes -- Archival resources
- Television scripts
- Television series -- Archival resources
- Television writers -- United States -- Archival resources
- Finding Aid of the Ron Moore Collection
- Rebecca Hirsch, Sarah Guidas and Philip Meyer
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- The processing of this collection and the creation of this finding aid was funded by the generous support of the National Historic Publications and Records Commission.
Part of the USC Libraries Cinematic Arts Library Repository
Doheny Memorial Library G4
3550 Trousdale Parkway
Los Angeles California 90089-0185 United States