California clippings collection
Scope and Contents
This collection consists of magazines, brochures, small publications, newspapers, maps, and other items of ephemera collected by Mrs. Walter K. Towers (according to mailing labels on envelopes) and Berenice Towers. Most of the materials appear to be published items from the early 1960s; however there are some from the 1940s as well as through the 1980s. The articles and publications are almost entirely related to California, with the preponderance of them being Southern California, covering the history of towns, missions, California landmarks, recreational areas, state and national parks, California vineyards, etc. Specific regions and landmarks include San Simeon, the Salton Sea, the Channel Islands, Hollywood, UCLA and the Powell Library, Santa Monica, Orange County Spanish and Mexican ranchos, the redwood state parks, the Santa Ynez Valley, Disneyland, the Los Angeles Plaza, and the Los Angeles County Art Museum. A series of publications issued by the Title Insurance and Trust Company include issues authored by historian W.W. Robinson and cover topics such as Ventura County, the San Fernando Valley, Riverside County, San Luis Obispo, etc. There are several copies of Westways magazine as well as many other single issues; and a large run of Holiday Magazine from the 1940s and 1950s. Holiday Magazine is one of the few areas of the collection with a breadth larger than California-- it was a travel magazine with many essays penned by well-known authors-- Ray Bradbury, Joan Didion, John Steinbeck, Arthur Miller, etc.
- Majority of material found in 1950s-1960s
- Towers, Walter K. (Mrs.) (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
COLLECTION STORED OFF-SITE: Advance notice required for access.
Conditions Governing Use
All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Manuscripts Librarian. Permission for publication is given on behalf of Special Collections as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained.
6 Linear Feet (6 boxes)
Language of Materials
This collection of primarily California-related materials was the provenance of Mrs. Walter K. Towers, with some materials from Berenice Towers. Over the span of more than forty years, they saved clippings, magazines, small publications, maps, and other ephemera chiefly on California with an emphasis on Southern California.
- California -- History -- Periodicals
- California, Southern -- History, Local -- Archival resources
- Death Valley National Park (Calif. and Nev.) -- Archival resources
- Disneyland (Calif.) -- Archival resources
- Los Angeles (Calif.) -- Newspapers -- Archival resources
- Mission Inn -- Postcards
- Missions -- California -- Archival resources
- Missions, Spanish -- California -- History -- Archival resources
- Parks -- California -- Los Angeles County -- Los Angeles -- Archival resources
- Printed ephemera
- San Fernando Valley (Calif.) -- History -- Archival resources
- Santa Monica (Calif.) -- Archival resources
- Tourist maps.
- Finding Aid of the California Clippings collection
- Jacqueline Morin
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the USC Libraries Special Collections Repository
Doheny Memorial Library 206
3550 Trousdale Parkway
Los Angeles California 90089-0189 United States