University of Southern California School of Philosophy records
Scope and Content
The School of Philosophy, which began as the Department of Philosophy, was established by the USC Board of Trustees in 1929. The records of the University of Southern California School of Philosophy primarily document the activities of school directors and faculty members from 1929-1969. In addition, the records contain files pertaining to the professional and personal activities, including research and publications, of these individuals. In addition, the collection consists of series focusing on the James Harmon Hoose Library of Philosophy and the journal "The Personalist", as well as to students applying and/or accepted for admission to the School. The records consist of brochures, clippings, correspondence, manuscripts, memorandums, photographs, programs, publications, and reports. The overall dates of the records are 1889-1978, 1988.
The Directors represented in the records are the first director, Ralph T. Flewelling (1929-1945); Daniel S. Robinson (1946-1954); W.H. Werkmeister (1954-1966); and John Hospers (1968-1988). The files of faculty members include B.A.G. Fuller, Heinrich Gomperz, Paul Helsel, and F.C.S. Schiller.
- Majority of material found within 1903 - 1977
- Hospers, John (Person)
English and German languages
While the bulk of the material contained in this collection are in English, there are also items in German, primarily in the Henirich Gomperz series.
Conditions Governing Access
COLLECTION STORED OFF-SITE. Advance notice required for access.
Conditions Governing Use
All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Manuscripts Librarian. Permission for publication is given on behalf of Special Collections as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained.
The University of Southern California (USC) School of Philosophy, which began initially as the Department of Philosophy, was officially established in May 1929. The first director of the new school was Ralph Tyler Flewelling, a professor of philosophy at USC since 1917 and head of the philosophy department at the time.
In December 1929, the School moved into the newly completed Seeley Wintersmith Mudd Memorial Hall of Philosophy, which still serves as its home on the USC University Park Campus (UPC). In addition to offices, classrooms, and lecture halls, Mudd Memorial Hall is also home to the James Harmon Hoose Library of Philosophy named for noted USC philosophy professor and the first department head James Harmon Hoose.
Prior to moving to Mudd Memorial Hall, the School and its predecessor were housed in the George Finley Bovard Administration Building, which opened in 1921. The north wing of the building was called the James Harmon Hoose Hall of Philosophy, and included the philosophy library.
The School published the journal "The Personalist" beginning in 1920, a quarterly focusing on philosophy, religion, and literature. Flewelling was the founding editor. In 1980, the School changed the journal's name to the "Pacific Philosophical Quarterly".
Early directors of the School were Ralph Tyler Flewelling (1929-1945); Daniel Summer Robinson (1945-1954); William H. Werkmeister (1954-1966); and John Hospers (1968-1988). In addition, other notable faculty members included H. Weldon Carr, F.C.S. Schiller, B.A.G. Fuller, Heinrich Gomperz, and Paul Helsel, as well as F.A. Hoernle.
47.17 Linear Feet (56 boxes)
The University of Southern California School of Philosophy was established in 1929 by the USC Board of Trustees, replacing the Department of Philosophy. The first director of the School was Ralph Tyler Flewelling, who previously served as chair of the deparment and was instrumental in getting the School approved. These records primarily contain the administrative files of the early School directors, beginning with Flewelling, followed by Daniel S. Robinson, W.H. Werkmeister, and John Hospers, and professional files and some personal files of Flewelling and Robinson, as well as several faculty members, including B.A.G Fuller, Heinrich Gomperz, Paul Helsel, and F.C.S. Schiller. In addition, the records contain files on the James Harmon Hoose Library of Philosophy, "The Personalist", and selected students. The dates of the collection are 1889-1988 (bulk dates, 1903-1977).
The collection is organized into the following series: 1) Flewelling, Ralph Tyler; 2) Fuller, B.A.G.; 3) Gomperz, Heinrich; 4) Helsel, Paul R.; 5) Higginbotham, James; 6) Hoose Library; 7) Hospers, John; 8) Robinson, Daniel S.; 9) Schiller, F.C.S.; 10) Werkmeister, W.H.; 11) The Personalist; 12) Student Files
The materials from the Daniel Robinson photographs and clippings, Collection #5188, were combined with the USC School of Philosophy records. As a result, Collection #5188 no longer exists.
- American Philosophical Association. Western Division -- Archives
- Flewelling, Ralph Tyler -- Archives
- Fuller, B. A. G. (Benjamin Apthorp Gould) -- Archives
- Fund raising -- California -- Los Angeles -- Archival resources
- Gomperz , Theodor -- Archives
- Gomperz, Heinrich -- Archives
- Harris, William Torrey -- Archives
- Helsel, Paul R. -- Archives
- Hoose Library of Philosophy
- Hospers, John -- Archives
- Mudd, Seeley Wintersmith -- Archives
- Personalism -- Archival resources
- Philosophers -- United States -- Archival resources
- Philosophy -- Periodicals -- Archival resources
- Philosophy -- Study and teaching -- California -- Los Angeles -- Archival resourcews
- Programs (documents)
- Robinson, Daniel Sommer -- Archives
- Royce, Josiah -- Archives
- Schiller, F. C. S. (Ferdinand Canning Scott) -- Archives
- Universities and colleges -- California -- Los Angeles -- Administration -- Archival resources
- Universities and colleges -- Faculty -- Archival resources
- University of Southern California. School of Philosophy -- Faculty
- University of Southern California. School of Philosophy -- Archives
- Werkmeister, W. H. (William Henry) -- Archives
- Hospers, John (Person)
- Gomperz , Theodor (Person)
- Helsel, Paul R. (Person)
- Gomperz, Heinrich (Person)
- Fuller, B. A. G. (Benjamin Apthorp Gould) (Person)
- Schiller, F. C. S. (Ferdinand Canning Scott) (Person)
- Robinson, Daniel Sommer (Person)
- Werkmeister, W. H. (William Henry) (Person)
- Flewelling, Ralph Tyler (Person)
- University of Southern California. School of Philosophy (Organization)
- Finding Aid of the University of Southern California School of Philosophy records
- Michael Q. Hooks
- 2013 September
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
Part of the USC Libraries Special Collections Repository
Doheny Memorial Library 206
3550 Trousdale Parkway
Los Angeles California 90089-0189 United States