USC Library of Aeronautical History Earl X. Brown collection on aviation
Scope and Contents
This collection consists of scrapbooks and clippings chronicling the early innovations of manned flight compiled by Earl X. Brown. Included are two scrapbooks from Brown’s service in World War I in the 270th Aero Squadron, and one scrapbook of various photographs of outings with other aviation enthusiasts, plane crashes, stunt shows, and war plans. Also represented in the collection are newspaper clippings related to aviation as well as two Richfield Airplanes pamphlets and a Miterite compound angle calculator tool.
- Majority of material found within 1911 - 1945
- Brown, Earl X. (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Advance notice required for access.
Rights Statement for Archival Description
Finding aid description and metadata are licensed under an Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0) license.
Conditions Governing Use
All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Department of Special Collections at firstname.lastname@example.org. Permission for publication is given on behalf of Special Collections as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained.
Biographical / Historical
Earl X. Brown was a World War I veteran who built aircraft for Mercury Aircraft Co. and North American Aviation Inc. in 1919. He then worked for the Earl Daugherty School of Aviation in 1921.
2.25 Linear Feet (2 boxes)
Language of Materials
This collection consists of scrapbooks and clippings chronicling the early innovations of manned flight compiled by Earl X. Brown.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift of Earl X. Brown.
The collection is unprocessed.
- Aeronautics -- History -- Archival resources
- Aeronautics, Military -- Archival resources
- Air pilots -- California -- Photographs
- Air pilots, Military -- California -- 20th century -- Photographs
- Aircraft accidents -- Archival resources
- Aircraft industry -- Photographs
- Brown, Earl X. -- Archives
- World War, 1914-1918 -- Archival resources
- Finding Aid for the USC Library of Aeronautical History Earl X. Brown collection on aviation
- Sarah Jardini for History Associates Incorporated
- 2022 November
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the USC Libraries Special Collections Repository
Doheny Memorial Library 206
3550 Trousdale Parkway
Los Angeles California 90089-0189 United States