USC Library of Aeronautical History George T. Cussen collection on aviation
Scope and Contents
The collection consists of Cussen's personal scrapbook pages, books and photographs pertaining to the commercial aeronautic industry from the 1930s to the 1950s, and a collection of World War I & II war effort posters and maps.
- circa 1918-1963
- Cussen, George T. (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
COLLECTION STORED OFF-SITE: Advance notice required for access.
Conditions Governing Use
CONDITIONS GOVERNING USE All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Manuscripts Librarian. Permission for publication is given on behalf of Special Collections as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained.
Biographical / Historical
After leaving law school in the 1920s, George Cussen worked in the transportation industry for the next several decades. He worked for the Santa Fe Railway for eight years before a brief stint at Maddux Air Lines in 1929. From 1932 to 1940, he worked for Transcontinental & Western Airlines as a traffic manager, alternating between Los Angeles and San Francisco operations. During the 1940s, he worked for American Airlines, was the operations officer for the 302nd Transportation wing during WWII, and was appointed the Director of Traffic for TACA Airways' American and Carribbean region in 1946. Throughout the 1950s, he was the vice president and head sales executive for the Flying Tiger Line.
Starting in 1963, Cussen was among the aeronautic industry personnel who supported USC Library's campaign to established a library of aeronautical history. His donation was one among the large collections of air transport papers the library obtained through this effort.
2 Linear Feet (2 boxes)
Language of Materials
- Aeronautics -- History -- Archival resources
- Aeronautics, Commercial -- Freight -- Archival resources
- Aeronautics, Commercial -- United States -- History -- Archival resources
- Aeronautics, Military -- Archival resources
- Air charter contracts -- Archival resources
- Cussen, George T. -- Archives
- Flying Tiger Line -- Archives
- Los Angeles International Airport -- Archives
- Trans World Airlines -- Archives
- Transcontinental & Western Air, Inc -- Archives
- Transcontinental flights -- Archival resources
- Transportation -- Archival resources
- United States -- History -- Archival resources
- World War, 1914-1918 -- United States -- Archival resources
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Archival resources
- Finding Aid of the USC Library of Aeronautical History George T. Cussen collection on aviation
- Mariah Sander
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the USC Libraries Special Collections Repository
Doheny Memorial Library 206
3550 Trousdale Parkway
Los Angeles California 90089-0189 United States