University of Southern California Office of the Provost records
Scope and Content
These records document the activities of the University of Southern California Office of the Provost, the second highest administrative unit for the University, during the period from 1973 to 2007. The files include an academic planning document; accreditation reports, consisting of reports from the Ad Hoc Review Committees, academic departments, and schools; general correspondence and general files maintained by the Office; files pertaining to faculty appointments, promotions, and tenure; applications for the James H. Zumberge Faculty Research and Innovation Fund; files on the USC presidential inaugurations of James H. Zumberge and Stephen B. Sample; nominations for staff achievement awards; and files on the Tyler Prize for Environmental Achievement Award presented initially by Pepperdine University (1974-1980) and now by USC (1981-present).
The records include audiotapes, correspondence, clippings, ephemera, office files, photographs and negatives, reports, video tapes, and artifacts.
- 1923 - 2022
- Majority of material found within 1973 - 2007
- University of Southern California. Office of the Provost (Corporate Entity)
- University of Southern California (Corporate Entity)
- Tyler, John C. (Person)
- Tyler, Alice C. (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
COLLECTION STORED OFF-SITE. Advance notice required for access.
Conditions Governing Use
All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the University Archivist. Permission for publication is given on behalf of Special Collections as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained.
The Office of the Provost provides academic leadership to the University of Southern California (USC). As USC's second ranking official and the chief academic officer, the Provost reports directly to the USC President. The Provost supervises all academic programs and support functions, faculty affairs, student academic affairs, and academic planning. The Provost is also a principal participant in collaborative decision-making on issues such as fundraising and endowment, the management of auxiliary services, and USC's health services.
The Office of the Provost is accountable for the oversight, coordination, budget, and review of USC's academic units and initiatives. This includes the seventeen schools and two hospitals (as of 2012), educational policies, deans and faculty, research and grants, and strategic planning.
106.5 Linear Feet (96 boxes )
Language of Materials
The records, audiotapes and video tapes, photographs, ephemera, and artifacts of the University of Southern California Office of the Provost. As the second ranking official and the chief academic officer, the Office of the Provost provides academic leadership to the University of Southern California (USC). In addition, materials document the administration of the international Tyler Prize for Environmental Achievement, which is considered the premier award for environmental science, environmental health and energy conferring great benefit upon mankind. The Tyler Prize is now administered by the USC Dornsife College of Letters, Arts, and Sciences.
The collection is organized into the following series:
Series 1: Academic Planning
Series 2: Accredition Reports
Series 3: Correspondence
Series 4: Faculty Appointments, Promotions, and Tenure
Series 5: General Files
Series 6: James H. Zumberge Faculty Research and Innovation Fund
Series 7: Presidential Inauguration Files
Series 8: Staff Achievement Awards
Series 9: Tyler Prize for Environmental Achievement
Books that accompanied the nominations for the Tyler Prize for Environmental Achievement were separated to be given to the USC Libraries.
- Accreditation (Education) -- California -- Los Angeles -- Archival resources
- Ames, Bruce N. -- Archives
- Awards -- California -- Los Angeles -- Archival resources
- Bolin, Bert -- Archives
- Bormann, F. Herbert -- Archives
- College presidents -- California -- Los Angeles -- Archival resources
- Crutzen, Paul J. -- Archives
- Dansgaard, W. -- Archives
- Education, Higher -- California -- Los Angeles -- Archival resources
- Ehrlich, Anne H. -- Archives
- Ehrlich, Paul R. -- Archives
- Environmental sciences -- Awards -- Archival resources
- Galdikas, Biruté Marija Filomena -- Archives
- Goldberg, Edward D. -- Archives
- Goodall, Jane -- Archives
- Gómez-Pompa, Arturo -- Archives
- Hubbard, John R. (John Randolph), 1918-2011 -- Archives
- Johnston, Harold S. -- Archives
- Koop, C. Everett (Charles Everett) -- Archives
- Likens, Gene E. -- Archives
- Lorius, Claude -- Archives
- McCarty, Perry L. -- Archives
- Meinwald, Jerrold -- Archives
- Oeschger, H. (Hans) -- Archives
- Organization for Tropical Studies -- Archives
- Patterson, Clair C. -- Archives
- Pepperdine University -- Archives
- Raven, Peter H. -- Archives
- Reagan, Ronald -- Archives
- Revelle, Roger -- Archives
- Rowland, F. S. -- Archives
- Sample, Steven B., 1940-2016 -- Archives
- Schaller, George B. -- Archives
- Stumm, Werner -- Archives
- Tyler Prize for Environmental Achievement -- Archival resources
- Tyler, Alice C. -- Archives
- Tyler, John C. -- Archives
- Universities and colleges -- Accreditation -- California -- Los Angeles -- Archival resources
- Universities and colleges -- California -- Los Angeles -- Administration -- Archival resources
- University of Southern California -- Archives
- University of Southern California -- Faculty
- University of Southern California. Office of the Provost -- Archives
- Vollenweider, Richard A. -- Archives
- Wilson, Carroll L. -- Archives
- Wilson, Edward O. -- Archives
- Zumberge, James Herbert -- Archives
- Finding Aid of the University of Southern California Office of the Provost records
- Michael Q. Hooks
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- 2013: The finding aid was revised based on the addition of 19 boxes to the Nomination Files in the Nominations for Tyler Prize Subseries as part of the Tyler Prize for Environmental Achievement Series.
- 2022 July: Finding aid updated by Bo Doub: created new container record (listed under "Unprocessed material") after finding an unprocessed box during Grand Archives stacks shelf-reading.
- 2023 March: Finding aid updated by Bo Doub to include material added to the collection from accession no. 2023-008.
Part of the USC Libraries Special Collections Repository
Doheny Memorial Library 206
3550 Trousdale Parkway
Los Angeles California 90089-0189 United States