Milner family films, papers and photographs
Scope and Content
- 1917-1928, 1949-1991
- Milner family (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Conditions Governing Use
The patriarch of the Milner family was John Milner. He and his wife, Anna, lived in Los Angeles, CA. John and Anna had seven children: John, Mrs. J.W. Krause, Esther Rule, Clara McDonald, Mrs. Charles L. Michod, Louise Alton, and Henriette Straton. Milner was cashier of the Farmers' and Merchants' National Bank in Los Angeles.
The son, John Milner, was born in Los Angeles, CA, in 1887 and passed away on January 20, 1937, at the age of 50. He was married to Winifred Milner, and they had a son, Reese L. Milner, and a daughter, Gwendolyn Milner Hubbard. John was secretary of the Lewellyn Iron Works, which merged with Consolidated Steel Corporation in 1929, and was a director of Consolidated Steel. In addition to these activities, he was a director of the Union Bank and Trust Company, Pacific Indemnity Company, Discount Corporation, Francisco Building Company, Blue Diamond Company, and the Dominquez Land Corporation. He attended Harvard Military School and the University of California.
Reese Lewellyn Milner was the only son of John and Winifred Milner. Reese was born on April 15, 1916 and died in April 1986. Milner, who resided in Beverly Hills, CA, attended Stanford University. He was a financier, and owned Milner Oil Co., headquarted in Beverly Hills, and was active in real estate holdings.
The Milner family owned Rancho La Vista in Ojai, CA, north of Los Angeles, for about 100 years. The family subsequently sold the ranch.
12.5 Linear Feet (2 banker's boxes, 41 flat film boxes, 2 film canisters, 1 partial map case drawer)
Language of Materials
- Animated cartoons
- Annual reports
- California, Southern -- History -- Archival resources
- Children's films
- Financial records
- Home movies
- Llewellyn Iron Works -- Archives
- Milner Oil Company -- Archives
- Milner family -- Archives
- Motion pictures (visual works)
- Travel in motion pictures -- Archival resources
- Finding aid of the Milner family films, papers and photographs
- Rebecca Hirsch, Michael Hooks, and Lindsey Zea
- 2012 September
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- The processing of this collection and the creation of this finding aid was funded by the generous support of the Council on Library and Information Resources.
Part of the USC Libraries Special Collections Repository
Doheny Memorial Library 206
3550 Trousdale Parkway
Los Angeles California 90089-0189 United States