Lillian I. Allard collection of California postcards
Scope and Content
The collection consists of 782 postcards of California dating from the 1890s to 1956.
- Allard, Lillian I. (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
COLLECTION STORED OFF-SITE. Advance notice required for access.
Conditions Governing Use
The collection contains published articles; researchers are reminded of the copyright restrictions imposed by publishers on reusing their articles and parts of books. It is the responsibility of researchers to acquire permission from publishers when reusing such materials. The copyright to unpublished materials belongs to the heirs of the writers. Permission to publish, quote, or reproduce must be secured from the repository and the copyright holder.
Lillian I. Allard was born in 1910 in Pennsylvania. She married in October 1929 and subsequently moved with her husband to Southern California where she resided until her death in 1979. They had one child, a son named Frank, who attended USC in 1956 and received a degree in Mathematics. Lillian and her husband were avid collectors and were part of a hobby society. Frequently, they visited second-hand stores. Lillian loved California and showed her admiration for the state by collecting picture postcards of the region.
1.38 Linear Feet (782 postcards, 2 boxes)
Language of Materials
The Lillian I. Allard collection of California postcards consists of 782 vintage postcards. The postcards are arranged geographically and cover such places as Los Angeles County, Orange County, the California Missions, Riverside County, the Mission Inn of Riverside, San Diego County, Imperial County, San Bernardino, mining towns, and other miscellaneous views and shots of people and places in and around California.
The postcards were kept in original order and are organized into 10 series by geographical location.
The collection was given to the University of Southern California on January 12, 2004 by Frank A. Allard, the son of Lillian I. Allard.
- Allard, Lillian I. -- Archives
- Gold mines and mining -- California -- Postcards
- Imperial County (Calif.) -- Postcards
- Long Beach (Calif.) -- Postcards
- Mission Inn -- Postcards
- Missions -- California -- Postcards
- Postcards -- California -- Los Angeles County -- Archival resources
- Postcards -- California -- Orange County -- Archival resources
- Postcards -- California -- Riverside County -- Archival resources
- San Bernardino County (Calif.) -- Postcards
- San Diego County (Calif.) -- Postcards
- San Gabriel River Valley (Calif.) -- Postcards
- Venice (Los Angeles, Calif.) -- Postcards
- The Finding Aid of the Lillian I. Allard collection of California postcards
- Katie Richardson
- October 2010
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- The processing of this collection and the creation of this finding aid was funded by the generous support of the Council on Library and Information Resources.
Part of the USC Libraries Special Collections Repository
Doheny Memorial Library 206
3550 Trousdale Parkway
Los Angeles California 90089-0189 United States