Larry Pryor papers
Scope and Contents
Materials that represent the creation of online journalism and new media, a period extending from about 1982 to 2002. Larry Pryor assembled the collection while he worked on digital news projects at the Times Mirror Company and the Los Angeles Times from 1982 until 1997. Pryor continued adding to the collection while teaching at the USC Annenberg School for Communication and Journalism, where he taught journalism, edited the Online Journalism Review and Japan Media Review, and conducted research on new media topics until 2016.
Specific items in the collection include:
- Printouts of about 1,500 stories from magazines and specialized publications covering the development of new media. Many of these publications no longer exist. Most of these articles are not accessible electronically, since they either predate the Internet or have aged off. This collection also includes special issues on journalism and the Web.
- Internal Times Mirror Company communications and staff materials, including user data from 1982 to 1986. Projects include Times Mirror's Gateway Videotex project, as well as from other Times Mirror digital projects, such as producing news for Prodigy, followed by development of the existing latimes.com site.
- Reports, research studies and academic papers from a wide variety of sources, including foreign and unpublished research.
- Promotional materials produced by new media companies that were collected at industry conferences over more than 20 years.
- Materials collected at academic conferences over more than 30 years, including those hosted by the Annenberg School’s Online Journalism Program, and conferences at other schools, such as at UC Berkeley and the University of Minnesota.
- 1982 - 2016
- Pryor, Larry (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
COLLECTION STORED OFF-SITE. Advance notice required for access.
Conditions Governing Use
All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Manuscripts Librarian. Permission for publication is given on behalf of Special Collections as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained.
13 Linear Feet (13 boxes)
Language of Materials
Larry Pryor assembled this collection of material on the creation of online journalism and new media during his work at the Times Mirror Company and the USC Annenberg School for Communication and Journalism. Most of the material dating between 1982 and 1997 relates to Pryor's work on digital news projects at the Times Mirror Company and the Los Angeles Times. The material relating to Pryor's work at the USC Annenberg School for Communication and Journalism dates from the late 1990s until 2016 and includes papers that he created and collected at academic conferences and during his teaching, research material, and documents from his work as editor of the Online Journalism Review and the Japan Media Review.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift of Larry Pryor, May 2018
The collection is unprocessed.
- Annenberg School for Communication & Journalism (University of Southern California) -- Archives
- Commercial correspondence
- Conference proceedings
- Digital media -- United States -- Archival resources
- Journalism -- Study and teaching -- California -- Los Angeles -- Archival resources
- Journalism teachers -- California -- Los Angeles -- Archival resources
- Journals (periodicals)
- Los Angeles Times (Firm) -- Archives
- Online journalism -- United States -- Archival resources
- Promotional materials
- Pryor, Larry -- Archives
- Research (documents)
- Times Mirror Company -- Archives
- Finding aid for the Larry Pryor papers
- Bo Doub
- 2021 January
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Box: 1 (Textual Materials)
- Box: 2 (Textual Materials)
- Box: 3 (Textual Materials)
- Box: 4 (Textual Materials)
- Box: 5 (Textual Materials)
- Box: 6 (Textual Materials)
- Box: 7 (Textual Materials)
- Box: 8 (Textual Materials)
- Box: 9 (Textual Materials)
- Box: 10 (Textual Materials)
- Box: 11 (Textual Materials)
- Box: 12 (Textual Materials)
- Box: 13 (Textual Materials)
Part of the USC Libraries Special Collections Repository
Doheny Memorial Library 206
3550 Trousdale Parkway
Los Angeles California 90089-0189 United States