Lorenzo DeStefano collection on the Hancock Pacific Expeditions
A collection of screenplay drafts, research notes, subject files, correspondence, photographs, books, audio and video tapes, and one 16mm film compiled by Lorenzo DeStefano for a film about G. Allan Hancock's Galapagos expeditions of the 1930s.
Many of the photographs in the collection were made from original negatives provided by Marian Mullin Hancock, John Garth, Waldo Schmitt, and the Danish explorer Hakon Mielche, who visited the Galapagos and was familiar with Hancock and the settlers. In addition to the large reel of 16mm film taken by Hancock and others, the collection includes Lorenzo DeStefano's correspondence with Garth, Schmitt, Mielche and other participants; numerous other research inquiries; and DeStafano's notes on and drafts of the screenplay for his film.
- DeStefano, Lorenzo (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Advance notice required for access.
Conditions Governing Use
All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Manuscripts Librarian. Permission for publication is given on behalf of Special Collections as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained.
14.52 Linear Feet (12 boxes and 1 film canister)
Language of Materials
A collection of screenplay drafts, research notes, subject files, correspondence, photographs, books, audio and video tapes, and one 16mm film compiled by Lorenzo DeStefano for a film about G. Allan Hancock's expeditions to the Galapagos Islands during 1930s. DeStefano never completed his film, but his research for the project--which began in the 1970s--forms a significant collection of documentation on the people and events involved in the Hancock Expeditions.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift of Lorenzo DeStefano, August 31, 2020.
The collection is unprocessed.
- DeStefano, Lorenzo -- Archives
- Documentary films -- United States -- History -- 20th century -- Archival resources
- Garth, John S. (John Shrader) -- Correspondence
- Hancock, Allan, 1875- -- Archives
- Hancock, Marian Mullin -- Archives
- Mielche, Hakon, 1904- -- Correspondence
- Motion pictures (visual works)
- Motion pictures -- Production and direction -- California -- Los Angeles -- Archival resources
- Research (documents)
- Schmitt, Waldo L. (Waldo Lasalle) -- Correspondence
- Scientific expeditions -- Galapagos Islands -- Archival resources
- Scientific expeditions -- Galapagos Islands -- Photographs
- Finding aid for the Lorenzo DeStefano collection on the Hancock Pacific Expeditions
- Bo Doub
- 2021 January
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the USC Libraries Special Collections Repository
Doheny Memorial Library 206
3550 Trousdale Parkway
Los Angeles California 90089-0189 United States