Los Angeles Herald Examiner Building photograph album
A photograph album containing 171 original silver gelatin print photographs chronicling the construction and dedication of the headquarters for the Los Angeles Examiner--later the Los Angeles Herald Examiner--in downtown Los Angeles. The photographs show the original site of the newspaper building, located at 146 West 11th Street in downtown Los Angeles' South Park neighborhood. The album also contains several photographs showing the streets surrounding the building packed with onlookers for the laying of the building's cornerstone by William Randolph Hearst and Los Angeles Mayor H. H. Rose. An image showing the building under construction from 12th and Main Street includes a passing Pacific Electric Railway Company Red Car. The photographs also feature views of scarcely populated and largely undeveloped surrounding streets in downtown Los Angeles. Everything from digging and laying the foundation to tiling the building's trademark domes are shown in the album's photographs. The handwritten caption for one photo notes "placing reinforcing steel in the presses foundations." All of the included photographs are mounted on heavy black paper leaves, which are bound into a brown leather binding with the title "Photographic History of the Building of the New Home of The Los Angeles Examiner 1913" stamped in gilt on the cover.
- 1913 - 1914
Conditions Governing Access
Advance notice required for access.
Conditions Governing Use
All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Manuscripts Librarian. Permission for publication is given on behalf of Special Collections as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained.
Biographical / Historical
The photographs in this collection show the headquarters for the Los Angeles Herald Examiner newspaper, located at 146 West 11th Street in the South Park neighborhood of downtown Los Angeles. The location was formerly occupied by the Giambastiani Fuel Co. Photographs in this album show an old wooden house structure and oil derrick on the site, presumably left from the previous occupant. The album shows that horses and wagons were used in the construction of the building, designed by Julia Morgan (1872-1957), the first female architect licensed in the state of California. However, one photograph in this album throws the question of the building's architect into question. A large banner hanging from the building during the laying of the cornerstone reads: "J. Martyn Haenke & W.J. Dodd Architects." Scholars dispute to what extent Dodd, one of the great Midwestern architects, was involved in the design of the building. During this period, Dodd moved to Los Angeles and designed several buildings with J. Martyn Haenke. According to historians, Hearst was so pleased with Morgan's Mission Revival design for the Los Angeles Examiner building that he hired her for the now-famous Hearst Castle in San Simeon.
Part of the Hearst Syndicate, the Los Angeles Herald Examiner was a major Southern California daily newspaper, published Monday through Friday in the afternoon and in the morning on Saturdays and Sundays. The afternoon Los Angeles Herald-Express and the morning Examiner, both of which had been publishing in the city since the turn of the last century, merged in 1962. For a few years after this merger, the Herald Examiner claimed the largest afternoon newspaper circulation in the country. The newspaper ceased operation in 1989 and the building has since been vacant. However, the owners of the five-story, 100,000-square foot building announced in 2019 that it will undergo a $56 million renovation.
0.25 Linear Feet (1 box)
Language of Materials
The Los Angeles Herald Examiner Building photograph album contains 171 original silver gelatin print photographs chronicling the construction and dedication of the headquarters for the Los Angeles Examiner--later the Los Angeles Herald Examiner--in downtown Los Angeles. The building was designed by San Francisco architect Julia Morgan in the Mission Revival and Spanish Colonial Revival styles. Architects J. Martyn Haenke and William J. Dodd were also involved in the building's design. The included photographs feature images of the entire process, from digging and laying the foundation to tiling the building's trademark domes. The album also contains several photographs showing the streets surrounding the building crowded with onlookers for the laying of the building's cornerstone by William Randolph Hearst and Los Angeles Mayor H. H. Rose.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Purchased from Johnson Rare Books and Archives, October 28, 2019.
- American newspapers -- California -- Los Angeles -- 20th century -- Archival resources
- Architecture -- California -- Los Angeles -- 20th century -- Archival resources
- Construction projects -- California -- Los Angeles -- 20th century -- Photographs
- Cornerstone laying -- California -- Los Angeles -- 20th century -- Photographs
- Hearst Corporation -- Archives
- Hearst, William Randolph, 1863-1951 -- Photographs
- Los Angeles (Calif.) -- Buildings, structures, etc. -- Archival resources
- Los Angeles (Calif.) -- Newspapers -- Archival resources
- Los Angeles Examiner -- Photographs
- Morgan, Julia, 1872-1957 -- Archives
- Newspaper buildings -- California -- Los Angeles -- Photographs
- Photograph albums
- Rose, Henry Howard, 1856-1923 -- Photographs
- Los Angeles Herald Examiner Building photograph album
- Bo Doub
- 2019 November
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
Part of the USC Libraries Special Collections Repository
Doheny Memorial Library 206
3550 Trousdale Parkway
Los Angeles California 90089-0189 United States