Clyde E. Elliott papers
Scope and Contents
This collection consists of story treatments, production materials, clippings, correspondence, scrapbooks, and photographs from American motion picture director, producer, and writer Clyde E. Elliott (1885-1959). Materials include production materials for Bring ‘Em Back Alive (1932), Devil Tiger (1934), and Booloo (1938), correspondence, travel photos, press clippings, and the Manuscript for Elliott’s unpublished book Rambling Thoughts of a World Rover.
- Creation: 1908 - 1961
- Elliott, Clyde E., 1891-1959 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Advance notice required for access.
Conditions Governing Use
All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Department of Special Collections at firstname.lastname@example.org. Permission for publication is given on behalf of Special Collections as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained.
Biographical / Historical
Clyde E. Elliott (1885-1959) was an American film director, producer, and writer best known for directing Bring 'Em Back Alive (1932), starring Frank Buck. Elliott’s films were primarily action-adventure movies shot on location where the hero would face off with a wild animal. From 1945 to 1950 Elliott served as the editor of the Santa Ana Independent, a weekly newspaper published from 1935 to 1966.
10.125 Linear Feet (9 boxes)
Language of Materials
This collection consists of story treatments, production materials, clippings, correspondence, scrapbooks, and photographs from American motion picture director, producer, and writer Clyde E. Elliott (1885-1959).
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift of Clyde Hayes, June 15, 2019.
Collection is unprocessed. Box title information comes from handwritten content notes on rehoused boxes.
Genre / Form
- Clippings (information artifacts)
- Treatments (documents)
- Animal films -- Archival resources
- Motion picture actors and actresses -- United States -- Archival resources
- Motion picture authorship -- California -- Los Angeles -- 20th century -- Archival resources
- Motion picture industry -- California -- Los Angeles -- Archival resources
- Screenwriters -- United States -- Archival resources
- Finding aid for the Clyde E. Elliott papers
- Bo Doub
- 2019 June
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- 2020 March: The Clyde E. Elliott papers and the Alfred Hayes papers (collection no. 6211) were originally accessioned and described as one collection: the Clyde E. Elliott and Alfred Hayes family papers. In March of 2020, Bo Doub and Suzi Noruschat divided the combined "family" collection into two individual collections.
- 2023 May: Finding aid updated by Marissa Chavez and Sarah Jardini for History Associates Incorporated to incorporate box level description
Part of the USC Libraries Special Collections Repository
Doheny Memorial Library 206
3550 Trousdale Parkway
Los Angeles California 90089-0189 United States