Skip to main content

Chester Place photographs

 Collection — Box: 1
Identifier: 7070

Scope and Contents

12 mounted photographs depicting Chester Place and the surrounding area. The photographs include streetscapes (of Chester Place and Figueroa Street), lawns and gardens. Many of the photographs are identified only generally, but some can be positively identified as no. 7 Chester Place, the home of Judge Charles Silent, the founder of Chester Place, and a veiw of Figueroa Street with the Stimson House in the background.

Dates

  • circa 1900

Conditions Governing Access

COLLECTION STORED OFF-SITE. Advance notice required for access.

Conditions Governing Use

All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Manuscripts Librarian. Permission for publication is given on behalf of Special Collections as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained.

Historical note

Chester Place was founded by Judge Charles Silent in 1899, when he moved his family to the old home of real estate speculator Nathan Vail and extended a private street through the middle of the property, from Adams Bioulevard to 23rd Street, and subdivided the land into 23 lots on either side of the road. Vail's property was originally surveyed by Henry Hancock (of Rancho La Brea) in 1853; Hancock purchased this land for himself in 1855, and sold it to Vail in 1867. By the time Judge Silent purchased the property, the area was growing increasingly popular, thanks to the streetcar line that connected Agricultural Park (present day Exposition Park) to downtown. Chester Place was one of the first gated communities in Los Angeles. Among its residents were Estelle and Edward Doheny, whose 24,000 square foot mansion soon became one of the most extravagant in the city. Today, Chester Place is part of the campus of Mount St. Mary's University, thanks to the philanthropy of Estelle Doheny.

Extent

1.17 Linear Feet (1 box)

Language of Materials

English

Overview

12 mounted photographs depicting Chester Place and the surrounding area. The photographs include streetscapes (of Chester Place and Figueroa Street), lawns and gardens. Many of the photographs are identified only generally, but some can be positively identified as no. 7 Chester Place, the home of Judge Charles Silent, the founder of Chester Place. Chester Place was founded by Judge Silent in 1899, when he moved his family to the old home of real estate speculator Nathan Vail and extended a private street through the middle of the property, from Adams to 23rd Street, and subdivided the land into 23 lots on either side of the road. Chester Place was one of the first gated communities in Los Angeles. Among its residents were Estelle and Edward Doheny, whose 24,000 square foot mansion soon became one of the most extravagant in the city. Today, Chester Place is part of the campus of Mount St. Mary's University.
Title
Finding aid for the Chester Place photographs
Status
Completed
Author
Sue Luftschein
Date
2018 September
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin

Repository Details

Part of the USC Libraries Special Collections Repository

Contact:
Doheny Memorial Library 206
3550 Trousdale Parkway
Los Angeles California 90089-0189 United States