Skip to main content

National Housing Exposition scrapbook

 Collection
Identifier: 7034

Scope and Contents

1 scrapbook documenting the development and marketing of the 1935 National Housing Exposition at Pan Pacific Auditorium (organized by Clifford Henderson, USC alumnus, and Phillip Henderson). Includes stationery, posters, invitations, reports, and printed ephemera.

Dates

  • 1935

Conditions Governing Access

COLLECTION STORED OFF-SITE. Advance notice required for access.

Conditions Governing Use

All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Manuscripts Librarian. Permission for publication is given on behalf of Special Collections as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained.

Biographical / Historical

The Pan-Pacific Auditorium, originally located at 7600 West Beverly Boulevard in the Fairfax District of Los Angeles, was designed by Plummer, Wurderman and Becket and financed by a commmittee led by Clifford W. Henderson and his brother Phillip. Built in just fifty-six days, it opened on May 18, 1935 to a fanfare of Boy Scout bugles as "the largest of its sort in the West and one of the three largest in the nation." Famous for its streamlined moderne facade and its distinctive flagpole pylons curved like the fin of a fish, the auditorium was essentially Los Angeles's first convention center. In the 1940s, the Pan-Pacific became a permanent full-service auditorium. The concrete slab floor was claimed to be the world's largest indoor ice rink. Along with the Grand Olympic and Shrine auditoriums, the Pan-Pacific became one of Southern California’s major indoor sports facilities.



The National Housing Exposition, the Pan-Pacific's inaugural event, was one of a number of similar expos held across the country after the passage of the National Housing Act in 1934, which was designed to make home ownership affordable for all Americans. The Federal Housing Administration, which promoted these expos, encouraged the formation of a citizens committee in Los Angeles in order to stage the most ambitious of these events. Clifford and Phillip Henderson took charge of the committee, secured funding and a 12-1/2 acre parcel of land near the La Brea Tar Pits. The expo opened on May 18, 1935, and was the subject of a massive media campaign and billed as a "mini world's fair." The show ran until mid-June, and was a huge success, credited with jumpstarting the construction business in Los Angeles, and helping to ease the effects of the Great Depression for Angelenos.

Extent

1.96 Linear Feet (2 boxes)

Language of Materials

English

Overview

The Pan-Pacific Auditorium, originally located at 7600 West Beverly Boulevard in the Fairfax District of Los Angeles, was designed by Plummer, Wurderman and Becket and financed by a commmittee led by Clifford W. Henderson and his brother Phillip. The National Housing Exposition, the Pan-Pacific's inaugural event, was one of a number of similar expos held across the country after the passage of the National Housing Act in 1934, which was designed to make home ownership affordable for all Americans. The expo opened on May 18, 1935, and was the subject of a massive media campaign and billed as a "mini world's fair." The show ran until mid-June, and was a huge success, credited with jumpstarting the construction business in Los Angeles, and helping to ease the effects of the Great Depression for Angelenos. The scrapbook contains stationery, posters, invitations, reports, and printed ephemera documenting the development of the exposition.

Immediate Source of Acquisition

Donated by Kim Housken/Palm Desert Historical Society, March 12, 2016.

Processing Information

The original scrapbook was highly acidic, so the contents were removed and foldered. The original order of the material in the scrapbook has been retained.
Title
Finding aid for the National Housing Exposition scrapbook
Status
Completed
Author
Sue Luftschein
Date
2016 April
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin

Repository Details

Part of the USC Libraries Special Collections Repository

Contact:
Doheny Memorial Library 206
3550 Trousdale Parkway
Los Angeles California 90089-0189 United States