Watts Writers' Workshop stories, lesson books, and other material
Scope and Content
This collection contains clippings and documents concerning the Watts Writers' Workshop. Included in the collection are Jimmie Sherman's works "Reflections of a Nobody," a short story; "Ballad from the Sixties," a play with music; and "The Workin' Machine," a ballad; as well as Sherman's self-published language instruction materials.
- 1966 - 1993
- Sherman, Jimmie L. (Jimmie Lee) (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
COLLECTION STORED OFF-SITE. Advance notice required for access.
Conditions Governing Use
The collection contains published materials; researchers are reminded of the copyright restrictions imposed by publishers on reusing their articles and parts of books. It is the responsibility of researchers to acquire permission from publishers when reusing such materials. The copyright to unpublished materials belongs to the heirs of the writers. Permission to publish, quote, or reproduce must be secured from the repository and the copyright holder.
The Watts Writers' Workshop (also known as the South Central Writers Workshop: Douglass House), was founded in 1965 by novelist Budd Schulberg in the aftermath of the Watts Riots. Funded by a grant from the National Endowment for the Arts, the Workshop was housed in the Douglass House, which served as a meeting space and housing for some of the workshop members. Jimmie Sherman (b. 1941), was a workshop member. The Workshop still meets sporadically, while the Harlem-based Frederick Douglass Center for the Creative Arts, the Workshop's Eastern offshoot, is a vibrant organization.
0.5 Linear Feet (1 box)
Language of Materials
The Watts Writers’ Workshop was founded in 1965 by Budd Schulberg. This collection contains clippings about the workshop and works by Jimmie Sherman, one of the Workshop’s members.
- African American authors -- California -- Los Angeles -- Archival resources
- African American educators -- California -- Los Angeles -- Archival resources
- Authors, American -- 20th century -- Archival resources
- Bylaws (administrative records)
- Douglass House Foundation -- Archives
- Los Angeles (Calif.) -- History -- Archival resources
- Schulberg, Budd (1914-03-27-2009-08-05) -- Archives
- Sherman, Jimmie L. (Jimmie Lee) -- Archives
- Watts Writers' Workshop -- Archives
- Finding Aid of the Watts Writers' Workshop stories, lesson books, and other material
- Rebecca Hirsch and Mandeep Condle
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- The processing of this collection and the creation of this finding aid was funded by the generous support of the National Historic Publications and Records Commission.
Part of the USC Libraries Special Collections Repository
Doheny Memorial Library 206
3550 Trousdale Parkway
Los Angeles California 90089-0189 United States