Charles Leland Bagley papers
Scope and Content
The collection contains the personal papers of Charles Leland Bagley and records pertaining to the American Federation of Musicians and other labor organizations for musicians. Union records include publications, photographs, pre-1900 documents, correspondence, clippings and financial records. The collection also includes sheet music and Bagley's personal and legal correspondence, ephemera, diplomas and personal photographs. Please see the Scope and Content notes of individual series for more information.
- 1865 - 1965
- Majority of material found within 1890 - 1962
- Bagley, Charles Leland (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
COLLECTION STORED OFF-SITE: Advance notice required for access.
Conditions Governing Use
The collection contains published materials; researchers are reminded of the copyright restrictions imposed by publishers on reusing their articles and parts of books. It is the responsibility of researchers to acquire permission from publishers when reusing such materials. The copyright to unpublished materials belongs to the heirs of the writers. Permission to publish, quote, or reproduce must be secured from the repository and the copyright holder.
Charles Leland Bagley was born in Tipton, Iowa in 1873, where he lived until moving to Southern California in 1887. He was a band and orchestra musician who was also a charter member of the American Federation of Musicians (AFM) Local 47. Bagley received law degrees from USC in 1910 and 1911 and was active as a labor organizer with the American Federation of Musicians and its predecessor, the National League of Musicians. He served as the Vice-President of the AFM from 1931 until his retirement in 1959. He passed away in 1965.
20.46 Linear Feet (23 boxes)
Language of Materials
This collection contains the personal papers of Charles Leland Bagley, along with records pertaining to the American Federation of Musicians. Bagley was a musician and lawyer who lived in Los Angeles and who was active in the AFM Local 47 until his retirement in 1959. The collection includes correspondence, photographs, union publications, and ephemera.
Donated by Mrs. Charles Leland Bagley.
- American Federation of Musicians -- Archives
- American Federation of Musicians of the United States and Canada. Musicians' Union, Local 47 (Los Angeles, Calif.) -- Archives
- Bagley, Charles Leland -- Archives
- Financial records
- Labor unions -- California -- Los Angeles -- Archival resources
- Musicians -- California -- Los Angeles -- Archival resources
- Musicians -- Labor unions -- Archival resources
- National League of Musicians of the United States -- Archives
- Sheet music
- Finding Aid of the Charles Leland Bagley papers
- Rebecca Hirsch
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- The processing of this collection and the creation of this finding aid was funded by the generous support of the National Historic Publications and Records Commission.
Part of the USC Libraries Special Collections Repository
Doheny Memorial Library 206
3550 Trousdale Parkway
Los Angeles California 90089-0189 United States