Gomperz, Heinrich, 1926-1938
Scope and Content
The School of Philosophy, which began as the Department of Philosophy, was established by the USC Board of Trustees in 1929. The records of the University of Southern California School of Philosophy primarily document the activities of school directors and faculty members from 1929-1969. In addition, the records contain files pertaining to the professional and personal activities, including research and publications, of these individuals. In addition, the collection consists of series focusing on the James Harmon Hoose Library of Philosophy and the journal "The Personalist", as well as to students applying and/or accepted for admission to the School. The records consist of brochures, clippings, correspondence, manuscripts, memorandums, photographs, programs, publications, and reports. The overall dates of the records are 1889-1978, 1988.
The Directors represented in the records are the first director, Ralph T. Flewelling (1929-1945); Daniel S. Robinson (1946-1954); W.H. Werkmeister (1954-1966); and John Hospers (1968-1988). The files of faculty members include B.A.G. Fuller, Heinrich Gomperz, Paul Helsel, and F.C.S. Schiller.
English and German languages
While the bulk of the material contained in this collection are in English, there are also items in German, primarily in the Henirich Gomperz series.
Conditions Governing Access
COLLECTION STORED OFF-SITE. Advance notice required for access.
From the Collection: 47.17 Linear Feet (56 boxes)
- From the Collection: Hospers, John (Person)
- From the Collection: Gomperz , Theodor (Person)
- From the Collection: Helsel, Paul R. (Person)
- From the Collection: Gomperz, Heinrich (Person)
- From the Collection: Fuller, B. A. G. (Benjamin Apthorp Gould) (Person)
- From the Collection: Schiller, F. C. S. (Ferdinand Canning Scott) (Person)
- From the Collection: Robinson, Daniel Sommer (Person)
- From the Collection: Werkmeister, W. H. (William Henry) (Person)
- From the Collection: Flewelling, Ralph Tyler (Person)
- From the Collection: University of Southern California. School of Philosophy (Organization)
Part of the USC Libraries Special Collections Repository
Doheny Memorial Library 206
3550 Trousdale Parkway
Los Angeles California 90089-0189 United States